Escambia County Housing
Finance Authority (ECHFA)
The Escambia County Housing Finance Authority was created in 1980 by the Escambia County Board of County Commissioners to help alleviate a shortage of affordable housing. The Authority is a special district in the State of Florida under Florida Statues, Chapter 159, Part IV.
This program is designed to make purchasing a home more affordable for low and moderate income homebuyers by providing homebuyers with affordable interest rate mortgage loans and down payment and closing cost assistance. Mortgage loans in this program are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. You can download an Escambia County brochure.
The homebuyer may choose between a VA-guaranteed, FHA-insured, or USDA-RD 30-year fixed rate mortgage.
Assisted Low Rate Option 4.25%*
Plus Lenders may charge a Discount or Origination Fee or any combination of the two with the total not exceeding 1.00% of the loan amount.
*Participating Lenders will provide specific APR information as required by law.
Down Payment Assistance
The Authority offers down payment assistance (DPA) in all participating counties. DPA may provide upto 100% of the homebuyers cash to close as long as there is no cash back to borrower.
Assisted Low Rate Option: 0% Non-Amortizing 30-Year Deferred Second Mortgage: The second mortgage provides up to $7,500 and can only be used with the 4.25% First Mortgage. (Second Mortgage is not forgivable and becomes due when first mortgage is satisfied or upon sale, transfer, rental or disposition of property.)
- Borrowers must be first-time homebuyers who have not had a present ownership in their principal residence during the past three years.
- Qualified Veterans or homebuyers purchasing a property in a designated targeted area do not need to be first time homebuyers.
- Borrowers must meet normal mortgage requirements to demonstrate credit worthiness. Borrowers must have a minimum 660 FICO score for FHA loans or 640 for USDA-RD and VA loans to participate.
- Borrowers must occupy the purchased home as their principal residence.
- Household income may not exceed the following limits within Escambia County.
Maximum Income Limits
Family of 1-2: $63,300 (Non-Target Areas) - $75,960 (Target Areas)
Family of 3 or more: $72,795 (Non-Target Areas) - $88,620 (Target Areas)
What Homes Qualify?
The single family home may be attached or detached, a condominium, townhouse/townhome or PUD. Homes must be located within one of the counties listed on the front of this brochure. The total purchase price of a home within Escambia County may not exceed the following limits:
Maximum Purchase Price:
New & Existing Homes: $255,573 (Non-Target Areas) - $312,368 (Target Areas)
How To Apply?
- Contact: To learn how to qualify and apply for a loan, and to obtain a preferred lender's contact info, please call us at (800) 388-1970 or Contact Us.
- Apply: Contact the preferred lender given by ECHFA to apply for a loan.
If you have questions please contact ECHFA at 800-388-1970 or 850-432-7077.